307 N. Main St., Culver, IN
Studio Phone: 574-842-8888
Residence Phone: 574-842-4350
The Culver, Indiana Area Series
Culver's Vandalia Train Station
300 Signed, Limited Edition Prints
Image Size: 11" x 7"
Unmatted: $40 free shipping
To place an order please call 574-842-4350.
Discount on additional items within same order.
Located inside Culver's Town Park adjacent to Lake Maxinkuckee, today's Vandalia Station was erected in 1925. A recent article in Culver's weekly hometown paper, The Culver Citizen,* summarized details on the history of railroads in Culver and nearby.. Information presented here is taken from that newspaper story.
In 1883 the Vandalia rail line reached Culver from Logansport.. In July of 1889, 12,000 visitors arrived at Culver aboard excursion trains from towns up to 40 miles away. The 1910 Train Timetable at Vandalia Station shows six trains daily, four on Sunday with stops at Arlington, Culver Station, CMA, and Hibbard.
In January of 1920 the original Vandalia Station burned. In July of that year, construction was begun on the current station. Full use began in 1925 and continued steadily through 1947, with occasional use until 1976, when rail traffic ceased..In the early 1980's Vandalia tracks through and around Culver were removed. and railroad property was sold off.
The Vandalia Station is owned by the Town of Culver and the Culver Park Board. In the late 1980's, the Culver Lions Club spearheaded and organized the drive to renovate this building.. Excellent community effort and cooperation resulted, and Culver's Vandalia Train Station is leased and maintained by the Culver Lions Club.
*The Culver Citizen - Our weekly newspaper is outstanding and very interesting reading. Mail subscriptions available. Call 800-933-0356 or email: email@example.com
|PRINTS||BOOKS / POETRY||SHIPPING||ABOUT US||FRONT PAGE|